10 Tips to Keep Guys Hot and HealthyBy Sarah Stevenson
Ok studs, if you're reading this, odds are you're a follower of Tony or Shaun, and being faithful to your P90X®/INSANITY® workouts, you're most likely a head turner with the ladies. That said, women today are raising their standards for the "Hot and Healthy" guy. Having a gorgeous physique is top on the list but it's going to take a lot more than that these days to keep the girls gawking. Read on to really learn "what a girl wants."
- Hot Bodies. Men with healthy physiques are likely to catch any girl's eye. No, you don't have to beef yourself up to look like Hercules. You do however have to EXERCISE. Treat exercise like brushing your teeth. You brush every day, right? (If not, yuck!) Put exercise in that category as well. Furthermore, it's good for you. According to Dr. F.W. Booth, physical inactivity affects at least 20 of the most deadly chronic disorders. He believes we have evolved into creatures that require an active lifestyle. So get your butt off the couch and move it, move it.
- Hot Hair. Sexy heads are important to a woman. Make sure to keep it healthy and groomed. Don't be insecure if you're losing your hair. If you are balding, shave it—bald is sexy. Researchers at the University of Washington School of Medicine studied 2,000 men aged between 40 and 47. They were able to link high levels of testosterone in those who lose their hair. (I've always been attracted to bald men. They appear so masculine to me.) If you are going gray, you will look 10 times sexier if you just let it go gray. If you do decide to color it, get it professionally done to avoid looking like Wayne Newton.
If you do have hair and you want to keep it, you may consider integrating a healthy diet. Eat foods high in protein including meats, eggs, beans, and nuts. Look for foods high in Omega - 3s such as tuna, salmon, peanut butter, almonds, walnuts, sunflower oil, canola oil, olive oil, and safflower oil. Last but not least, eat foods high in iron including dark greens, beans, raisins, red meats, and egg yolks.
- Smell Sexy. I often walk by the ocean for exercise, with an iPod® plugged into my ears and the majestic sea before me to serve as scenery. It never fails, a man will run by with a sexy masculine smell or irresistible smelling cologne on and it doesn't matter what he looks like, I instantly get butterflies and turn to look who this sexy creature might be. Women do get turned on by smell, so if you don't like cologne at least smell clean. And the whole "pheromone phenomena"—that women are more attracted to the raw smell of a man—is a little over simplified. According to Social Issues Research Centre's The Smell Report, "All male pheromones are not equally attractive, and some of the myths stem from an understandable confusion over their names. The male pheromone androstenone is not the same as androstenol. Androstenol is the scent produced by fresh male sweat, and is attractive to females. Androstenone is produced by male sweat after exposure to oxygen—i.e. when less fresh—and is perceived as highly unpleasant by females. In other words, there's a fine line between the sexy aroma of exercise and a stink of a gym sock.
How you eat affects the way you smell. Too much red meat, garlic, and onions will make you stinky so don't over do them. Many types of cologne contain cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg or cardamom. Add these spices to your food and get a double boost in the smell-good department. Also eating fresh produce will help keep you clean and free of strong odors.
- Sincere eyes. Look directly into a woman's eyes when approaching or talking to her. Women love sincerity. A man who is unable to make proper eye contact can appear uninterested or aloof. To make sure you have eyes ladies want to look at, eat a healthy balanced diet. Carrots and sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene that helps ward off macular degeneration and cataracts. Spinach is also a great food for the eyes, it contains vitamin C, antioxidants, and carotene that can protect your eyes from the sun.
- Smile. A beautiful smile is a chick magnet. When you smile at me I can't help but smile myself, which releases endorphin, serotonin, and dopamine. (Trust me, you want ladies to link you and dopamine.) Australian researchers found that subjects who smiled authentically were later judged as being more likable and approachable than non-smilers and non-authentic smilers. So smile, but don't fake it. If you're looking for a natural, cheap way to whiten your teeth you can use baking soda. Due to its gritty nature, it's able to erase stains on the teeth. Just dip your toothbrush in water then baking soda and brush away the grime. Peroxide is also a great whitener. Take equal parts water and 3 percent household hydrogen peroxide, swish it around your mouth for 30 seconds (do not swallow). You'll have whiter teeth in seconds.
- Keep it clean. That means wash it, brush it, pluck it, and groom it. Put some effort into it. My new favorite word when it comes to men's body hair is “Manscaping.” Essentially manscaping requires you to trim the unruly hair all over your body, to give it some boundaries. You don't have to necessarily deforest your body from head to toe. Most girls just want to know you're trying. There are some really great electric do-it-yourself body grooming tools or you can hire yourself a “Manscaper.” YES they really do exist and being experts in the field they may be able to offer some great pointers.
- Dress with style. Men need to put some effort into this category. Of course we all have different tastes and style, but a little effort here scores big points in the "Hot and Sexy Category." It’s important that a man dress in a way that is true to his personality and character. If you are trying to dress like a rock star but you prefer the symphony, girls are likely to see straight through you. A well-dressed man wears decent quality clothes (ridiculously expensive name brands are not necessary for most women to find a man sexy) that fit his physique and character. Wearing a tight pair of pants and leather choker just to impress a woman is not going to last too long. Being unique, will. Ralph Waldo Emerson said it best, "They think him the best dressed man, whose dress is so fit for his use that you cannot notice or remember to describe it."
- Listen. Men who listen to women are always put in the category of a great guy. Many men don't get how easy it can be to score points with a woman—listening is one of those easy A's. It’s incredibly flattering when a man looks you in the eye and really attends to what you're saying. A man who listens is sexy and sweet. To make sure your ears are in tip-top shape you can eat foods high in vitamin A such as sweet potatoes, red bell peppers, carrots and spinach; fruits and veggies rich in vitamin C, such as oranges, limes, lemons, strawberries and guava; and foods high in vitamin E like wheat germ, peanut butter, and most nuts.
- Hygiene. A man who stinks can never be sexy in my eyes. Please shower, brush your teeth, comb your hair, shave, manscape, and eat healthy so your foods are working against you when it comes to smell. Make these daily activities. A clean, healthy boy is a sexy boy. So go on boys jump in the shower and get yourself looking "Hot and Healthy."
- Posture. How you carry yourself is key when looking to appear "Hot and Healthy." I know, I know you and tons of others heard growing up, "Stop slouching, sit up straight." But grandma was right. Men who carry themselves properly also carry a look of capability and pride. That is freaking sexy in my opinion. I teach proper posture for a living as a yoga instructor. I focus poses that require core engagement. So keep up on those crunches guys. In yoga we have a pose called Mountain Pose (Tadasana in sanskrit) that depicts perfect posture. Here's how you do it:
- Start by standing, allowing your two big toes to touch. Leave a small space between the heels.
- Lift up all your toes and spread them out, then rest them down. (You now have a solid base)
- Allow your body weight to rest on all four corners of your feet.
- Engage your calve muscles as you press the feet into the floor.
- Move up to your quadriceps and engage them tightly, notice the knee caps lift.
- Internally rotate your thighs, this will widen your sit bones and then tuck your tailbone to rest between the sit bones.
- Engage the muscles in your core.
- Set your shoulders directly over your hips.
- Lengthen your neck allowing the crown of your head to rise toward the sky.
- Slide your shoulder blades toward each other then take them down the back toward the floor.
The honest truth is we women adore you men. It doesn't take much to grab our attention and it takes just a bit more to hold it. A little effort goes a long way, guys. Follow these easy steps and you will go from scoring as a 6 on the "Hot and Healthy" meter to scoring a 10. Not only will you get the attention of the ladies but also the respect from society.
- Booth, F.W. et al. 2002. Waging war on physical inactivity: using modern molecular ammunition against an ancient enemy. Journal of Applied Physiology, 93, 3-30.
- J Appl Physiol, October , 2011; 111 (4): 1199-1200. Frank W. Booth and Mark Hargreaves. Understanding multi-organ pathology from insufficient exercise
- Jonathan L. Wright, Stephanie T. Page, Daniel W. Lin, Janet L. Stanford Cancer Epidemiology - April 2010 (Vol. 34, Issue 2, Pages 131-135, DOI: 10.1016/j.canep.2010.02.003)
- Albrecht J, Demmel M, Schöpf V, Kleemann AM, Kopietz R, May J, Schreder T, Zernecke R, Brückmann H, Wiesmann M. Smelling chemosensory signals of males in anxious versus nonanxious condition increases state anxiety of female subjects. [Journal Article, Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't] Chem Senses 2011 Jan; 36(1):19-27.
- Social Issues Research Centre: The Smell Report/Sexual Attraction http://www.sirc.org/publik/smell_attract.html
- Gladstone, G. L. and Parker, G. B. (2002), When you're smiling does the whole world smile for you?. Australasian Psychiatry, 10: 144–146. doi: 10.1046/j.1440-1665.2002.00423.
Questions about your workout program, diet, the latest newsletter, or anything wellness related? Check the Team Beachbody Chat Room for the next impromptu video chat.
If you'd like to ask a question or comment on this newsletter article, just email us at mailbag@TeamBeachbody.com.