Mother's Day 2.0: Making Mom Happy in 3 Easy StepsSarah Stevenson
Modern moms work hard. Not only does today's matron need to manage a home, but she also has to stay competitive in her chosen career and make quality time with her children and partner. So it's not surprising that, until recently, your mom has looked at Mother's Day as little more than a day off—a time for lazing in bed and eating a big, rich meal or two.
But something weird happened this year. Last July, Mom got a copy of TurboFire®. And she changed. She's lost weight, her energy's up, she's eating great—so sitting around and eating junk food are the last things on her mind. What do you do for this new, improved Mom 2.0? We're here to help. Here are three easy steps to celebrate the day with that off-the-couch, super-healthy lady you call "Mom."
Step 1: Plan a healthy activity
Our Moms deserve so much more than a crowded breakfast spot accompanied by a card and a box of chocolates. Here are a few options.
- Pack a Picnic. Your mom dreads the crowded restaurant you take her to just as much as you do. You won't have to wait in a long line to eat and you can spend the day together at her favorite spot. Going on a nice family hike will give you all a chance to reconnect, laugh, exercise, and see the beauty of nature. This would be a lovely and thoughtful gift that the whole family can enjoy. You can even bring the dog, if you like. Your modern mama has health and fitness on the brain so if she can spend time connecting with her family while getting some cardio in and a healthy lunch, she will be flying high. Your mother wants to spend time with her family and not waiting around with a thousand strangers. You can even purchase a unique picnic basket customized for your mom and make it a Mother's Day tradition each year. Pack it full of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and plenty of protein.
- Schedule a Family Portrait. It may be a radical departure from that controversial "after" bikini shot that Mom posted on the Team Beachbody® site, but it'll mean every bit as much to her, if not more. She is so proud of her family and herself. How great would it be if you all dressed up and surprised her by taking her to a studio to get a picture of the whole family? As she looks back at that picture she will always be reminded of that Mother's Day she spent with you.
And while you're snapping shots, get a photo of you hugging your mom and enter it in our "Hug Your Mom" Mother's Day Photo Contest for a chance to win her a copy of Tai Cheng™ and a copy of the Beachbody® program of your choice. See our Facebook® page (http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/contests/220615) for more details.
- Group Exercise. Of her choice, of course. So if mom chooses Zumba® or cardio kickboxing, get your legwarmers on. How many laughs would you earn if you had to shake your booty next to Dad and Mom? This way, the whole family gets a workout and Mom feels happy and refreshed.
- Solitude. Something that Mom gets very little of. Giving Mom the time and space to do whatever she likes, alone. Take your brothers, sisters, and dad out so Mom can have a little time to herself. Give her the much-needed gift of solitude that busy, overworked moms rarely receive.
Step 2: Buy a healthy gift
Moms today deserve gifts that are tailored to their own unique lifestyle. If you want to get brownie points for a thoughtful gift that makes it clear you spent some time thinking about your mom, here is a guide to select the perfect fitness gift.
- Spa Day. Something every girl absolutely loves. A day full of pampering, peace, and quiet. Something moms rarely have time for. Give her the permission to be a queen for a day. This Mother's Day, allow your amazing mama to relax and put her feet up even if it is just to show off those hot, sexy legs she's worked so hard at attaining.
- Yoga Time. Over the years you've seriously stressed your mom out. Not that you're a rotten kid or anything. Moms have a built-in worry system that never shuts off. So it's time your mom gets a chance to let go and relax. A body-beautifying, mind-clearing class could be just the gift for her . . .
- Beachbody Gear. Beachbody has several gifts any mother would be thrilled to receive. These are the kind of gifts every cool mom needs and the gifts that keep on giving. You can keep it simple and get her a yoga mat or P90X2® RumbleRoller®, or you can help keep her moving with 10-Minute Trainer®, for those days she only has time to squeeze in a quick workout in between client meetings and soccer practice. Or maybe Tai Cheng for days she just needs a relaxing, restorative routine after a hard day of "momming."
Of course, if you can't make up your mind, you can always get her one of our eGift Cards. Offer your mom the freedom to choose what she wants for this special holiday.
Step 3: Top off Mother's Day with the gift of emotional support
Moms are always the ones who stand by us no matter what, but the truth is, they need our support as much as we need theirs. Offer to be her support buddy this year. Agree to set time aside for each time she needs to go to the doctor for a checkup or whatever else she needs. Moms won't always ask but they would love to have you there.
The truth is, Mom 2.0 deserves a heck of a lot more than a single day off! But, unless Congress makes Mother's Day a multi-day holiday, this is your only official day to let the love flow. So make the one and only Mother’s Day, the best day ever.
Questions about your workout program, diet, the latest newsletter, or anything wellness related? Check the Team Beachbody Chat Room for the next impromptu video chat. Or, if you just can't wait, log onto the Information & Education section of the Team Beachbody Message Boards for questions, answers, and scintillating conversation.
If you'd like to ask a question or comment on this newsletter article, just email us at mailbag@TeamBeachbody.com.