Sometimes working out by yourself can be great, and other times you want to call in a little backup for some motivation and company! Todd and Michelle wanted to get in shape together before their wedding. They did Body Beast together and have a few tips for anyone out there who wants to work out with their partner.
- Have a plan and stick to it regardless of what it takes. As if we didn’t have enough stress while preparing for the wedding, we decided to throw caution to the wind and work out and diet together. With that said, doing things together as a couple is extremely important to us. We knew what we were getting into when we started. We mutually decided that we wanted to build a strong foundation regarding our health and fitness as we started our life journey together. Naturally, we also wanted to look good on our wedding day and I think we successfully met that goal. As a couple, living a healthy lifestyle won’t work if you don’t support each other, work together, and have a similar life vision. It takes hard work, dedication, and commitment. There has to be harmony.
- Work together as a team, supporting your partner in and outside of the gym. Spending time together is important for us. This was a perfect opportunity for us to work together on mutual goals and support each other in the process. It was a lot of hard work, but we reaped the rewards. Yes, there were stressful times and a lot of personal compromises, but we always worked through each phase whether it was in or out of the gym. Doing the program together in unison with the myriad of wedding preparations allowed us to set goals, stay organized, and see progress daily in everything we were undertaking together. Share your victories together. Our reward was the sense of accomplishment we had at the end of each day. We just kept chipping away at everything that was before us.
- Diet is the most important factor. Think portion control. Eat a balanced diet high in protein, low in carbs, and minimal fats. Drink a lot of water. Take the plunge and simply eliminate all the “foods” that you know aren’t good for you. It’s not rocket science. Have a cheat meal or snack every now and then to curb the urge. Doing the diet together is definitely the critical component of the program. It won’t work if you don’t eat right and support each other.
- Have a vision of what you want to accomplish and set a series of goals to achieve your vision. We actually finished the program while we were on our honeymoon. We kept on pushing through even while we traveled. We made it fun and tied it in with our travel plans. Naturally, the diet was challenging while we traveled for nearly a month. Some of our workouts got very creative due to the gym conditions, but we endured.
- Patience, compassion, compromise, and a good positive attitude will get you to the finish line. The physical changes in both of us were remarkable. It was a team effort from day one. We both reached a superior level of fitness during the process. We had a good foundation before we started so working together just helped tie everything together for us as a couple. We really pushed each other in the gym and we held each other accountable regarding our diets. We were both remarkably fit by wedding day. Michelle looked beautiful; simply stunning.
We love these tips from Todd and Michelle – congrats to the newlyweds! We hope their story inspires you to work out with your partner, too. For even more inspiration, check out this success story from Dave and Denise who also used Body Beast together to prepare for the Beachbody Classic!