Take advantage of fall with these moist muffins. They’re less than 100 calories each!
Total Time: 28 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 18 min.
Yield: 12 servings, 1 muffin each
Nonstick cooking spray (optional)
1½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup wheat bran (or oat bran)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ cup apple butter, no sugar added
½ cup low-fat buttermilk (or nonfat plain yogurt)
2 large egg whites
1 medium apple, chopped (about 1 cup)
½ cup chopped pitted prunes
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Prepare twelve muffin cups by lining with muffin papers or coating with spray.
3. Combine flour, bran, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Combine apple butter, buttermilk, and egg whites in a large bowl; mix well.
5. Add flour mixture to apple butter mixture; mix until just blended.
6. Add apples and prunes; mix until just blended.
7. Divide batter among twelve prepared muffin cups.
8. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Transfer muffins to rack; cool.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.