Loaded with flavor and bursting with color – this salad might seem complex but it’s actually easy to make! The combination of spices, plus a little tahini, lemon, garlic, and honey create a taste that will excite your tastebuds. It’s stellar as a side or main dish, and will be a hit at any potluck party or picnic.
Simple (and inexpensive!) ingredients get combined with a delectable tahini dressing and topped with crunchy baked chickpeas. The chickpeas take a few minutes to make, but require almost no effort. You just toss them with spices, spread on a baking sheet and put them in the oven for about 15 minutes. They are worth the wait! These spicy beans get crunchy and give the salad great texture. They’re so tasty you’ll want to make extra to snack on.
Carrot and Spiced Chickpea Salad
Total Time: 45 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: None
Yield: 6 servings
1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed, dried
4 tsp. olive oil, divided use
¼ tsp. ground cumin
1 dash ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper, divided use
Nonstick cooking spray
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup tahini
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. raw honey
½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
2 Tbsp. + 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, divided use
3 cups shredded carrots (approximately 3 to 4 medium carrots)
½ medium red onion, chopped
½ cup raisins
Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Combine chickpeas, 1 tsp. oil, cumin, cinnamon, and 1 dash cayenne pepper in a small bowl; mix well. Place on baking sheet that is lightly coated with spray.
3. Bake, shaking baking sheet two to three times during baking, for 12 to 18 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp. Cool.
4. Place remaining 3 tsp. oil, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, honey, ¼ tsp. salt, 2 Tbsp. parsley, and remaining 1 dash of cayenne pepper in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
5. Combine carrots, onion, raisins, remaining 1 cup parsley, and dressing in a large serving bowl; toss gently to blend. Season with remaining ¼ tsp. salt and pepper (if desired). Mix well.
6. Divide evenly between six serving plates. Top with chickpeas. Serve immediately.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.
Photos by Kirsten Morningstar