This hot, flavorful habanero chili is so tasty, even meat eaters will love it. It’s made with seitan, a vegan meat-alternative that crumbles just like ground beef, and absorbs the spicy flavors of the sauce. The recipe makes a whopping 10 servings, making it perfect for this week’s meal prep and several more dinners in the future, just freeze the remaining portions. If you find habanero too spicy, you can substitute with jalapeño or bell pepper.
Love chili? Try more of our healthy chili recipes.
Total Time: 35 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
Yield: 10 servings, about 1 cup each
2 lbs. seitan
Nonstick cooking spray
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 habanero pepper, seeded and deveined, chopped (use gloves to handle)
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. sea salt (to taste; optional)
1 dash ground black pepper
1 14.5 oz can black beans, do not drain
1 14.5 oz can kidney beans, do not drain
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1. Place seitan in food processor; pulse until it has the consistency of ground beef. Set aside.
2. Heat large skillet, lightly coated with spray over medium-high heat.
3. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until translucent.
3. Add garlic, habanero pepper, and seitan; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until seitan is golden brown.
4. Add chili powder, paprika, salt (if desired), and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 more minutes.
5. Add black beans, kidney beans, and tomatoes; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until mixture is heated through.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 0 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 696 mg
Carbohydrates: 23 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugars: 4 g
Protein: 20 g
½ Tuber/Legume Carbs
Body Beast Portions
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.